Monday 16 May 2011

Heart 2 Heart and Mojo Monday 191

For the Heart 2 Heart challenge this week we are sharing techniques. One of my favourite techniques is masking. This is a very easy technique and I often find myself using it as a different way to make an aspect of my design stand out.

To do this, simply choose the shape that you would like to mask around. In this case, I masked around the owl inside the scallop circle shape. I punched out the scallop shape using my CTMH Scallop Punch on a scrap piece of paper. Next, I placed the shape on my piece of square cardstock and held it still while I used my sponge to simply ink around it. I am partial to inking in a sun-ray-type pattern but the possibilities are endless.
While I'm here, I could point out the stitching technique as well, which I very much admire but hate doing as it is somewhat tedious and time-consuming. I tend to enjoy faux stitching much more...

I am also entering another challenge this week. I thought I would finally give one of the Mojo Monday sketches a try. So here is the sketch with my card following. I stuck with some nice, bright colours again for this one. I just love the owl and his big googly eyes!





All products Close To My Heart unless otherwise noted.
Cardstock: Colonial White, Olive, Hollyhock
Pattern Paper: Boom-Di-Ada
Stamps: Hot Diggity, Dainty Thoughts
Ink: Olive, Hollyhock
Embellishments: Autumn Harvest Assorted Brads, green embroidery thread, yellow ribbon and googly eyes from outside sources.

11 comments:

  1. Your masking background technique is really cool! I love your card. Thanks for sharing your technique with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute card. Love how the masking makes the cute little owl stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the idea of stitching, but like you, prefer to do faux!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable love the owl. Thanks for sharing your technique with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really sweet card, Sarah! Glad you could share your technique with us at H2H this week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable card! I need to mask and stitch more often! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to call attention to your image!!! Great card, too :) Thanks for sharing at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome colors and the masking really makes this cute little guy stand out! Love the googly eyes too:) Thanks for playing along at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you highlighted your darling owl! The googly eyes are perfect as well. Thanks for joining us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to use the masking technique. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete